Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Refined Sugar-free, Soy-free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Do you love banana bread? Who doesn’t love the smell of banana bread wafting out of a warm and cozy kitchen?! For many with allergies, banana bread has become nothing more than a warm and fuzzy, gluten-memory of the past. If you’re feeling nostalgic now, but can’t have gluten, egg, dairy or soy – get out your over-ripe bananas because this is a recipe you’re gonna fall in love with. Can you smell your grandma’s banana bread now?
Prep Time: 20mins Makes: 16 bars
- 2 tablespoon chia seed, ground + 7 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup palm sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil, softened
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 2 vanilla beans, ½ teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch/flour
- 3 tablespoon cacao powder or carob powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line 8×8 pan with parchment paper across both sides for easy lifting and set aside.
- Combine ground chia and water, set aside for 5 minutes to allow it to thicken up.
- In a large bowl, cream palm sugar and coconut oil with a hand or stand mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add mashed banana, vanilla and chia mixture. Set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and whisk together. Once combined, add to wet mixture and mix with hand or stand mixture until incorporated. The batter will be thick, so use your muscles!
- Add walnuts if using them.
- Drop batter into prepared pan, flattening out as best you can.
- Bake until golden, 40-50 minutes, or bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven, slide out of baking pan and place on a cooling rack for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
Make it this way
If you want this recipe to turn out with more of a “cakey” consistency, you could substitute 2 large eggs for the chia seeds and water.
Palm sugar is also called coconut sugar and is a low-glycemic option to white sugar. However, if you don’t have palm sugar on hand, you can substitute it for regular sugar, sucanat or xylitol. You can also cut down the amount of sugar used in this recipe if you use an extra banana.
Get the Goods
|Chia Seeds||Omega 3, protein, fiber||Diabetes, obesity, heart disease, high cholesterol|
|Coconut Palm sugar||B vitamins, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron||Low glycemic sugar, blood sugar control|
|Coconut Oil||Medium chain fatty acids||Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, obesity, immune support|
|Banana||Potassium, fiber, FOS||Heart health, high blood pressure, supports healthy gut bacteria|
|Vanilla beans||Vanillin||Indigestion, aphrodisiac|
|Ground flax seed||Fiber, omega 3||Bowel regularity, appetite control, skin problems, heart disease|
|Cacao||Anandamide, phenethyalamin, tryptophan, magnesium||Depression, stress, increases serotonin, heart disease, diabetes|
|Walnuts||Omega 3, vitamin E, magnesium||Heart health, high cholesterol, diabetes|
Try it with
Try these squares frozen with a dab of your favourite nut butter for a tasty summer treat.